Our first meeting with you
During our first meeting with you, our lawyers will walk you through the property settlement process, obtaining your detailed instructions to ascertain the most cost effective and appropriate way to achieve an outcome that is just and equitable. Where necessary, we can work closely with your financial adviser or accountant to determine the best financial outcome for you. Taxation advice in some matters is extremely important to understand before you sign on the dotted line.
- The assets, liabilities and superannuation benefits owned by you, your former partner, either jointly, individually or in the name of an entity controlled by either of you;
- The direct and indirect financial contributions made by you, your former partner and your respective families towards the acquisition, conservation or improvement of assets – at the commencement of the relationship, during the relationship and post-separation;
- The contributions, other than financial ones, made by each of you in the relationship to the acquisition, conservation and improvement of the asset pool;
- The contributions made by each of you to the welfare of the family as homemakers and parents;
- Those matters which may have an impact on your future in the context of a just and equitable division of the assets, liabilities and superannuation benefit;
- Whether there has been, as a result of decisions made during the relationship, an ability for one party to have the better earning capacity in the future;
- Whether one party’s earning capacity has been or will be affected by ongoing commitments to support children and the impact that has on the ability to obtain and maintain gainful employment;
- The age and health issues (if any) of one or both of you that may impact on the capacity for appropriate gainful employment;
- What is the level of financial support being paid for the children of the relationship and what are the care arrangements for your children.
Property Matters Quick Links
"Rebecca is very professional and understanding. Her experience in family law gives you confidence and support during a very difficult time. I highly recommend her."